Amanda-Users

Re: tape backup vs hdd backup

2005-02-22 09:48:29
Subject: Re: tape backup vs hdd backup
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 09:39:30 -0500
On Tuesday 22 February 2005 08:16, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>   And while the life of that drive may well be limited, I do
>> expect 2-5 years service out of it since its mostly spinning
>> 24/7/365 with a powerdown maybe once a month because something I
>> did crashed or I'm changing hardware around, and that also exceeds
>> the demonstrated life of a much more expensive DDS2 tape changer
>> that I still had to fool with 2x weekly reloading the tape
>> magazine.
>
>Let's hope your (single) backup disk doesn't die together with your
> other machines when something goes wrong with the power...
>
>Gr{oetje,eeting}s,
>
>      Geert

Chuckle...  While its possible Geert, there is a 1500kva, about 80 lb,
ups in the system.  For obvious reasons, it sits on the floor.  If it
dies, everything is gone but the telephone and overhead lights, it
all runs on one wall plug with a 500j surge arrestor thats even tied
into the phone lines.  I've had no more surge related problems since
rigging it all out of one wall plug that I pulled and made sure
everything was tight in before I started.  (actually, I pulled them
all, looking for the real feedline from the breakers)   The operative
theory is that when lightning walks about, this whole room bounces in
unison & there aren't any other pseudo grounds to mess it up. This
house was built by a contractor who studied at the Hercules School of
(powder house) construction, where more than 1 nail per board is
frowned on.  And in 1974 when this was built, West Virginia hadn't
yet imposed any electrical codes that had any great resemblance to
the NEC, so I've been trying to bring things up to speed, supplanting
a 60 amp rated pushmatic main breaker box with a 200 so I could get
power to a workshop just a year ago.  *Most* of this place would pass
a 1998 inspection now I think.  At least thats the date on my copy of
the NEC.  And fortunately, its all copper.  After having alu start a
fire a couple of times, when I find that stuff, it comes out if I
have to pull it out with my pickup.  That would be messy, but
considering the alternative might be a box for my charred remains,
worth the effort.

The only thing that ruins the single point reference is the cat5
strung all over the place, with one piece even strung overhead across
the back yard to the workshop building, and at the instant, one to
the basement where the box I'm going to run my micro-mill with is
sitting on the pool table while I intermittently work on a driver for
the I/O card I'm using.  Right now I'm waiting on a box from Herbach
& Rademan with some different stepper motors for that project, the
ones I first bought are too slow, and a bit puny.

--
Cheers Geert, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)