Amanda-Users

Re: Can tapes be grouped for different types of back-up?

2005-02-14 01:20:34
Subject: Re: Can tapes be grouped for different types of back-up?
From: Toomas Aas <toomas.aas AT raad.tartu DOT ee>
To: "Erik P. Olsen" <erik AT epo DOT dk>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 08:03:34 +0200
Erik P. Olsen wrote:

Until recently I had a DDS3 tape streamer. Then it broke down a few
weeks ago and I bought a DDS4 tape streamer. I therefore have a lot of
DDS3 tapes which I like to use for incremental back-ups because the new
tape streamer can also handle DDS3 tapes.

Note that although DDS4 drives can handle DDS3, DDS2 and DDS1 tapes, the drive manufacturers do not recommend the regular use of smaller tapes in DDS4 drives. You may end up with drive that *only* supports DDS3 tapes again. The backward compatibility is really meant only so you can occasionally read your older backups. See your tape drive manual for details.

That being said, I used DDS3 tapes in my DDS4 drive for many months before I found out about this, and nothing bad seems to have happened.