Amanda-Users

Re: Permission problems with amlabel.

2005-01-23 01:37:25
Subject: Re: Permission problems with amlabel.
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: "Erik P. Olsen" <erik AT epo DOT dk>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 01:29:56 -0500
On Sunday 23 January 2005 01:06, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
I put this back on the list.
>On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 23:20 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

>> This is a permissions problem I believe, possibly brought on by a
>> miss-build of amanda.  The tapelist does NOT need any extended
>> permissions to work, mine is currently (ls -l output):
>>
>> -rw-------  1 amanda disk   441 Jan 22 01:00 tapelist
>>
>> But note the user:group it reports.
>
>Mine says:
>-rw-rw-rw-  1 amanda disk    0 Jan 23 00:42 tapelist
>
>The mode change was my first attempt to cure the problem - to no
> avail.

Did you build amanda as the user amanda?  And did you then become root
to do the installation?  I realize these are the standard dumb
questions we always ask, but nearly everytime amanda has a perms
problem, its traceable to some miss-queue in the build process.

Is your user amanda a member of group disk?

When I unpack each amanda tarball, one of the first things I do once
the top level directory is visible, is to do a "chown -R amanda:disk
name-of-top-level-dir", then I become amanda, copy in my build script
to the top level directory, cd to it and run that script.  That
script has been posted here in the past week if you want to look at
it.  It Just Works(tm).  Then I become root and do the make install,
and run a pass of ldconfig to refresh the library cache, followed by
becomeing amanda again and running an amcheck /config/ just to make
sure things are kosher.  I can't recall the last time they weren't.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: