Amanda-Users

Re: Fedora Core 3 - which version of tar??

2005-01-21 23:12:12
Subject: Re: Fedora Core 3 - which version of tar??
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 23:05:23 -0500
On Friday 21 January 2005 18:18, Eric Siegerman wrote:
>On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 10:22:16PM +0100, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
>> - configure and make as $AMANDAUSER
>
>I don't believe this is necessary.  One should avoid building
>Amanda as root, but that's not because it'll cause problems for
>Amanda; it's for the same reason one should avoid building
>*anything* as root.

This is correct, but maybe you wouldn't want the normal user to be a
member of group disk?  Thats the main reason I can see for a seperate
user 'amanda' who is a member of group disk, or maybe backup.

Most users are not that priviledged, and should not be.  And thats the
main justification for a seperate user to run amanda.

>I've never had a problem building Amanda under my own user
>account, and it's hard to see why such a problem might ever
>occur.
>
>> make install as root
>
>This *is* necessary, of course.
>
>--
>
>|  | /\
>|
>|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics AT telepres DOT com
>|
>|  |  /
>
>The animal that coils in a circle is the serpent; that's why so
>many cults and myths of the serpent exist, because it's hard to
>represent the return of the sun by the coiling of a hippopotamus.
>       - Umberto Eco, "Foucault's Pendulum"

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: