Amanda-Users

RE: Data loss if configuration of amanda.conf is not right.

2005-01-19 18:30:01
Subject: RE: Data loss if configuration of amanda.conf is not right.
From: donald.ritchey AT exeloncorp DOT com
To: vicki AT progeny DOT com, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:58:45 -0600
Vicki:

The reserve percentage works this way, as I understand it.  Someone please
correct me if I have the details wrong:

The "reserve" setting is the amount of "available holding disk" to hold back
to do degraded mode incremental dumps if Amanda cannot write to a tape.

For example, say you have a 50 GB holding disk and your "reserve" setting is
50 (for 50 percent reserved).

If you start out the day with all 50 GB of holding disk free, then it will
"reserve" one-half of the disk for incremental dumps in degraded mode.
Amanda will schedule up to 25 GB of level-0 dumps if the tape is not
available.

If you start the next day with 30 GB of holding disk free and the same
"reserve" setting of 50, then Amanda will schedule up to 15 GB of level-0
dumps for the day, reserving the other 15 GB for incremental dumps in
degraded mode.

So, the "reserve" setting is the amount of "available holding disk" to hold
back to do degraded mode incremental dumps if the tape drive is not
accessible or there is no available Amanda tape (for example, if you forgot
to change the tape before Amanda ran today).  Note that the percent is
against the available storage, so if your reserve percentage is less than
100 percent (the default), then Amanda will try to use that amount of
holding disk for level-0 dumps each day.

Note also that the default for "reserve" is 100 percent, which translates to
Amanda skipping any full dumps in degraded mode.  Depending on the amount of
space you have devoted to holding disk, this may or may not work well for
you.

Questions?

Don

Donald L. (Don) Ritchey