Amanda-Users

Re: Several large partitions, no spool

2004-11-29 18:55:51
Subject: Re: Several large partitions, no spool
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 00:46:17 +0100
Hi, Brian,

on Montag, 29. November 2004 at 17:51 you wrote to amanda-users:

BC> I've broken the raid into DLEs based on the top level directory
BC> structure of the (single large) partition. The raid is .886 PBytes.

uuuuhh ;-) Sounds tasty.

BC> Since I don't really have a spool area

you mean "holding disk" in AMANDA-terms?

BC> (none officially assigned anyway) the DLE's that saw an EOT from
BC> the SDLT failed, they don't currently span tapes (no patches in
BC> place) and don't retry. Direct to tape doesn't retry, does it ?

BC> Is there a way to force "next tape" prior to running the larger DLEs ?

I think we could need a bit more details on this.
Based on my assumptions I think you don't have the proper value for
"runtapes" set in your amanda.conf.

We would need to know how big your DLEs are as well as what config you
run to be more specific.

"taperalgo" helps you to get things in order on tapes (and maybe
avoiding and optimizing "smaller DLEs before big ones").

--
best regards,
Stefan

Stefan G. Weichinger