Amanda-Users

Re: Maybe OT but a big problem with SOLARIS

2004-11-23 13:25:39
Subject: Re: Maybe OT but a big problem with SOLARIS
From: Eric Siegerman <erics AT telepres DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 13:09:53 -0500
On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 09:37:15AM +0100, Paul Bijnens wrote:
> Maybe the [Sun box's] console contains a useful error message [...]
> E.g. connect a serial line to a PC with a terminal emulation (Hyperterm
> on Windows, or Kermit on Linux) having a very large screen history
> buffer.

I don't know your box, only our much more ancient Suns.  On
those, here's how it works:
  - Power off the system

  - Connect the terminal to the *first* serial port (on our
    boxes, it's labelled "A")

  - 9600-8-N-1

  - *Disconnect* the Sun keyboard

This has to be done with the power off.  Besides the usual
concern about frying the hardware, it's only at power-up time,
when the POST detects the missing keyboard, that the boot ROM
switches to serial-console mode.

Maybe you already know this stuff; if so, consider this post as
being for the benefit of the archives :-)

--

|  | /\
|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics AT telepres DOT com
|  |  /
The animal that coils in a circle is the serpent; that's why so
many cults and myths of the serpent exist, because it's hard to
represent the return of the sun by the coiling of a hippopotamus.
        - Umberto Eco, "Foucault's Pendulum"