Amanda-Users

Re: tuning amanda

2004-11-17 08:25:45
Subject: Re: tuning amanda
From: Alexander Jolk <alexj AT buf DOT com>
To: Kai Zimmer <kai AT zimmer DOT net>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 14:19:03 +0100
Kai Zimmer wrote:
> Are there possibilties to gain speed without investing into new hardware?
> Will breaking up into smaller DLEs help?

I've found on my installation that for some clients, the bottleneck was
rather the client's CPU.  Switching from `compress client' to `compress
server' gained me some percent.  Also, breaking up into smaller DLEs
surely helps, if only because it tends to keep the holding disk free
(you run into 100% a few times), which might allow other clients to be
started in parallel.  As it stands, you don't almost gain anything by
parallelizing DLEs:
> Run Time (hrs:min)        110:57
> Dump Time (hrs:min)       120:52

But even so, 716GB in 120h isn't that bad a troughput.  I'm getting half
an order of magnitude better, 400GB in typically 16h, but I wouldn't bet
the house on getting below 24h.

Alex

--
Alexander Jolk         /         BUF Compagnie
tel +33-1 42 68 18 28 /  fax +33-1 42 68 18 29