Amanda-Users

Re: amcheck not saying "expecting tapeno. or a new tape"

2004-11-05 16:43:18
Subject: Re: amcheck not saying "expecting tapeno. or a new tape"
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org, amanda-hackers AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 15:24:40 -0500
It is really best to post to only ONE of the -users or -hackers
lists.  Decide if it is about the code of amanda, then submit
to -hackers.  For the overwhelming majority of posts, they
concern usage of amanda and should go to -users.

On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 08:05:48PM +0000, Gavin Henry wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> After compiling by hand and patching amcheck.c to include our signature, all
> tests ran fine, backup work to tape etc, but a strange problem with amcheck:
>
> <quote>
> Appserv Tape Server Host Check
> - ---------------------------------
> Holding disk /var/cache/amanda: 7515340 KB disk space available, that's plenty
> ERROR: /dev/nst0: rewinding tape: No medium found
>        (expecting a new tape)

> You can see that a new DLE was added, hence the curinfo and index. There was
> no tape in the drive, but it should off asked for tape2, as I dumped a backup
> to tape 1.
>
> If I run amadmin config tape, it gives the right tape, which is also indicate
> in tapelist, tapelist.yesterday etc.

I suspect you have only done one backup, thus only previously used one tape.

You think there is an order to the tapes, 2 follows 1 etc.  Amanda could
care less what "new tape" it writes to next.  If you put in tape3 next,
amanda's order will have 3 following 1 in the future.  If you labelstr
allows it (tape.*) amanda will happily use tape-gavin next and tape-henry
after that.

There seems to be no problem (from what I see anyway).

> Could I have messed something up in amcheck.c ???

That is a separate question with an unknown answer.
But it is any mess-up is probably unrelated to this situation.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)