Amanda-Users

Re: Looking for tape drive suggestions

2004-10-29 11:30:31
Subject: Re: Looking for tape drive suggestions
From: Mike Brodbelt <m.brodbelt AT acu.ac DOT uk>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 16:24:28 +0100
Jonathan Dill wrote:
> I'm going to work for the Protein Data Bank, and we're seriously talking
> about using 1 TB flash drives for backups in the not-too-distant
> future.  It may take a few years to get down to a reasonable price
> point, however.

Hmmm - that's a bit beyond my requirements :-). I heard a talk given by
an ex-IBM'er some time ago, who worked with airline reservation systems.
Apparently they never did backups, as they'd worked out that in the
event of total data loss, the company would go bankrupt before the
system could be restored, so it wasn't worth the bother. They were very
keen on HA though...

Mike.