Amanda-Users

Re: Sony_AIT_Library_LIB_D81_A3EU or other streamer

2004-10-27 13:26:14
Subject: Re: Sony_AIT_Library_LIB_D81_A3EU or other streamer
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: TheQL° <TheQL AT ish DOT de>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 12:19:16 -0500
--On Wednesday, October 27, 2004 18:49:04 +0200 TheQL° <TheQL AT ish DOT de>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> first of all thank you for your answer, helps a lot.
>
> Before I buy there is just one last question ;)
>
> On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:09:30 -0400, Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com> wrote:
>
>> Scsi tape drives are pretty uniform in their kernel requirements.
>> It matters little, if at all, which drive/changer you select as
>> far as the OS is concerned.
>
> So I take it Sony doesn't build weird whatsoever into their streamers,  since
> this link
> http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPF-Sony_AIT_Library_LIB_D81_A3_LIBD81A3EU only
> states Windows support.
>
> Is there anybody out there that could actually recommend this tape drive  or
> say, no, stop, it's crap buy Brand X Model Y?

We have several Sony AIT3 drives, and previously used Sony AIT2 drives.
Only had one problem (one drive refused to eject a tape, had to get
the drive replaced under warranty and got the tape back undamaged).
I've  never used Sony's changers, so I can't say anything about those
(ours are Qualstars, never had a problem with them).
   Sony does have Linux utilitites for their changers on their web site,
so it's not MS only.  You would have to see if their software is required
or if you can just use mtx to control the changer.
   Don't forget you need SCSI tape, SCSI generic, and multiple LUN support
in your kernel.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673