Amanda-Users

Re: Collecting dumps bevore tape-writing?

2004-10-26 16:32:47
Subject: Re: Collecting dumps bevore tape-writing?
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Thorsten Bremer <lists-read AT thoddi DOT de>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:27:24 +0200
Thorsten Bremer wrote:

in the "normal" way, amanda collects the dumps on the holding disk and
write them to tape, while amanda dumps another directory in the
background and so on.

But after installing a new streamer, my computer is too slow for this.
I can only dump to the holding disk OR writing data to tape at one
time, not both together (the streamer is too fast, the disk too slow).

If you have enough RAM in the machine, you may try to increase
"tapebufs" in amanda.conf from the default of 20 to e.g. 1000 or
even much more. Each buffer is 32Kbytes, means that 1000 tapebufs takes 32Mbyte RAM.

Just curious for the result :-)

Yes, a hardware-update is on the way :-))

Is there a way to tell amanda, that he must not dump and tape-writing
in parallel, but one step after the other?

Set the tapedevice to something not existing, and the "reserve"
value for holdingdisk small enough (e.g. 0) to enable full dumps to
holdingdisk. Then run amdump. Now set the tapedevice to the real tape.
Then run amflush.

Something like this:  (Untested!)

in amanda.conf:  "settape /etc/amanda/tape"

And this script dums to disk,and then writes to tape:

   rm /etc/amanda/tape
   ln -s /dev/nst9 /etc/amanda/tape  # Not sure if /dev/null works...
   amdump daily
   rm /etc/amanda/tape
   ln -s /dev/nst0 /etc/amanda/tape
   amflush -bf daily