Amanda-Users

Re: [paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com: Re: Multi-Gb dumps using tar + software compression (gzip)?]

2004-10-20 08:43:32
Subject: Re: [paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com: Re: Multi-Gb dumps using tar + software compression (gzip)?]
From: Toralf Lund <toralf AT procaptura DOT com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 14:37:54 +0200
Patrick Michael Kane wrote:

If you restore a dump file to disk someplace and run "file" on it,
what type of file does it tell you it is?
Do you mean a "normal" amrestored'ed file, or a "raw" recovery?

Actually, I have examples of both:

#  file fileserv._scanner2_Hoyde.20041008.6
fileserv._scanner2_Hoyde.20041008.6: GNU tar archive

# file fileserv._scanner2_Hoyde.20041006.0
fileserv._scanner2_Hoyde.20041006.0: AMANDA dump file, DATE 20041006 fileserv /scanner2/Hoy

But of course the output would be what you expected for valid dump files, since they are *mostly* OK. Like I said earlier, tar extract (or list) on the files starts off right, and if I look at the (uncompressed) files starting at the end, I also find valid tar file entries. If looks like the files have section(s) of corrupt data "in the middle", however. I don't know any way to find out exactly where the error occurs, or what is wrong with the data. Or I know where tar gets into trouble for each of the files, of course, but I don't know how to find the corresponding compressed data, or its offset within the dump.

- Toralf

----- Forwarded message from Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
-----