Amanda-Users

Re: Multi-Gb dumps using tar + software compression (gzip)?

2004-10-20 07:11:11
Subject: Re: Multi-Gb dumps using tar + software compression (gzip)?
From: Toralf Lund <toralf AT procaptura DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 13:06:20 +0200
Michael Schaller wrote:

Hi Toralf,

I'v had nearly the same problem this week.
I found out that this was a problem of my tar.
I backed up with GNUTAR and "compress server fast".
AMRESTORE restored the file but TAR (on the server!) gave some horrible messages like yours. I transferred the file to the original machine ("client") and all worked fine.
I guess this is a problem of different tar versions ...

Do you made your tests on the client or on the server??
If the answer is "server" then transfer the restored archive to your client and untar there!!

I've tried both. In fact, I've tested just about every combination of tar, gzip, filesystems, hosts, recovery sources (tape, disk dump, holding disk...) etc. I could think of, and I always get the same result.

I'm thinking this can't possibly be a tar problem, though, or at least not only that, since gzip reports errors, too. I get

dd if=00010.raid2._scanner4.7 bs=32k skip=1 | gzip -t
124701+0 records in
124701+0 records out

gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--crc error

gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--length error

Greets
Michael

Toralf Lund schrieb:

Since I'm still having problems gunzip'ing my large dumps - see separate thread, I was just wondering:

Some of you people out there are doing the same kind of thing, right? I mean, have

  1. Dumps of directories containing several Gbs of data (up to roughly
     20Gb compressed in my case.)
  2. Use dumptype GNUTAR.
3. Compress data using "compress client fast" or "compress server fast".

If you do, what exactly are your amanda.conf settings? And can you actually extract *all* files from the dumps?

- Toralf