Amanda-Users

Re: tape verify

2004-10-14 11:25:10
Subject: Re: tape verify
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: "Lauro, John" <jlauro AT umflint DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 11:19:44 -0400
On Thursday 14 October 2004 10:25, Lauro, John wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Is it possible to have amanda check it's backups?  Have her read in
>each dump on the tape and make sure the length is correct?   (or
>ideally tar zt each dump if they are a tar dump, etc... and compare
> to what was backed up)
>
>My backups have been running seeminingly fine, but I just did a a
> test restore, and some of the filesets are only partially raadable.
>  Not sure at this point if it's one bad tape, or something wrong
> with the drive, etc...  and would be nice if Amanda tested them for
> me as she uses them...

I use a wrapper script to run amanda, and it finishes up by doing a
verify, sending me an email.  Its not very hard to knock one of those
up.  However, when running tapes, be aware that this doubles the wear
and tear on the tape and drive and they fail quick enough as it is.
Here, its almost free as I'm now doing my backups to virtual tapes on
a new 200GB drive, which is spinning anyway.  I keep enough
generations I can go back 30 days right from the hard drive.  Its
"good enough for the girls I go with" :-)

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: