Amanda-Users

Re: PowerVault 132T -- with dual drives

2004-10-07 14:43:42
Subject: Re: PowerVault 132T -- with dual drives
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Jimmy Henson <jhenson AT connecterra DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 13:43:17 -0500
--On Thursday, October 07, 2004 14:16:06 -0400 Jimmy Henson <jhenson AT
connecterra DOT com> wrote:

> I am the proud owner of a new PowerVault 132T, with dual LTO2 drives.
>
> I'd like to configure Amanda to write to both tape drives
> simultaneously.  Does anyone know if this is possible?

My answer to a similar question earlier this week was:

  You have two choices on how to use two (or more) drives in a changer.

  One way is to use the RAIT (RAID using tapes) driver to stripe (or
  mirror) your data across the drives.  With striping you should be
  able to increase your throughput writing to tape.

  Another way is to have two configs, each using one drive and each
  backing up a subset of your clients.  You will also need separate
  holdingdisks and changer configs for each.

  It would be nice if you could just have one config and have taper
  be able to write images to multiple drives simultaneously, but as far
  as I know it isn't possible.

Nobody posted any corrections so I assume I'm not too far off the mark.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673