Amanda-Users

Amanda doesn't count non-activity correctly when bumping levels

2004-10-05 20:39:36
Subject: Amanda doesn't count non-activity correctly when bumping levels
From: Mike Fedyk <mfedyk AT matchmail DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 17:38:44 -0700
Hi Everyone,

I have some of my largest volumes that do not have activity for several weeks, and they are also taking the most of my tapes -- even the incrementals.

I just did a zdiff on the different indexes for one of these DLEs and they are exactly the same. It seems that the level is not being bumped because there has been no activity.

I had bumpsize at 10MB with the bumpdays 1 and bumpmult 1, but the problem still persists. I'm going to try bumpsize at "1 byte" to see if it will bump the level because of directory atime updates.

I have many volumes where their size is just a few GB smaller than my 35GB (uncompressed) AIT1 tapes, and I'm trying to get Amanda to schedule level 0 dumps on different days (10 tapes and dumpcycle of 7 days), but it can't do that if it won't bump the levels on the inactive volumes.

What else can I do?

Thanks,

Mike