Amanda-Users

Re: Need to recover from vtapes

2004-09-30 10:13:50
Subject: Re: Need to recover from vtapes
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 16:04:16 +0200
Hi, Gene,

on Donnerstag, 30. September 2004 at 05:27 you wrote to amanda-users:

GH> Greetings;

GH> I'm trying to recover some stuff that yum killed last night, but in
GH> running amrecover, I believe I am getting the equ of an EOT message
GH> from the attempt to extract.

GH> The man page for ammt isn't at all clear about how one goes about
GH> 'rewinding' a virtual tape.  Can somebody clue me in?

You don't need this with chg-disk.

GH> Never mind, I used the old trusted dd and got it all.

GH> BUT, amrecover needs to be able to rewind the "tape" after you've done
GH> a 'settape'.  Somehow that functionality seems to be missing, or at
GH> least well hidden.

Not sure if I understand correctly, but I think you should do it like
this:

In terminal1 you do

amrecover <conf> ....
[..]
sethost
setdisk
setdate
add
extract

amrecover asks for the tape <label-of-requested-tape> ...

In terminal2 you do

amtape <conf> label <label-of-requested-tape>

In terminal1 you continue ...

This does the trick for me ...
Is this what you needed?

--