Amanda-Users

Re: Quantum VS80, VS160, SDLT320, LTO-1, LTO-2

2004-09-23 03:04:35
Subject: Re: Quantum VS80, VS160, SDLT320, LTO-1, LTO-2
From: "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas AT raad.tartu DOT ee>
To: Alan <d1 AT ms.unimelb.edu DOT au>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:03:14 +0300
> I'm going to purchase a Quantum ValueLoader which offers options of
> using DLT VS80, VS160, SDLT320, LTO-1 and LTO-2. Can those who has
> succeeded in any of them give me a yell. Thanks!

I would personally go with LTO if budget permits. I used to have
DLT8000 drive (predecessor of SDLT320) and I had lot of problems with
it.

DLT is basically one-company business so you'd be locked in to Quantum
(or whatever it is called nowadays) forever.

LTO, on the other hand, is an open standard with many manufacturers
making the drives, such as IBM and HP.

The hardware compression algorithm of LTO drives seems to be much
better than that of any other drive I've seen. I actually manage to put
*more* than 400 GB of data to LTO2 tape whose native capacity is 200
GB. Back when I was using DLT8000 drive to back up the same servers I
rarely saw over 60 GB going to a tape with 40 GB native capacity.
--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas AT raad.tartu DOT ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* No, `Eureka' is Greek for `This bath is too hot.'