Amanda-Users

Amcheck and amdump port usage?

2004-09-13 14:26:48
Subject: Amcheck and amdump port usage?
From: KEVIN ZEMBOWER <KZEMBOWE AT jhuccp DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 14:24:33 -0400
I'm still trying to troubleshoot my problem getting Amanda to work though a
firewall. I've read John Jackson's  port usage document and the FAQ at
http://amanda.sourceforge.net/fom-serve/cache/139.html. I'd like someone to
comment on whether or not I have the overall communication sequence correct
below. Then, I'd like information on how this is different if amcheck rather
than amdump is run.

In compiling amanda, I used these options: "--with-portrange=10080,10083
--with-tcpportrange=10080,10083 --with-udpportrange=850,854".

This is what I understand concerning the sequence of port usage in making an
amanda backup:

1. The tapehost makes a 'start backup' request of the client, originating on
port 850-854 to port 10080-10083 using UDP. The contents of the packet contain
a port number in the range 850-854 which is open on the tapehost, listening for
TCP connections.

2. The client responds by sending a UDP packet from any (?) port to port
850-854 on the tapehost. [Q: Can ports 850-854 on the tapehost be open to
receive both UDP and TCP packets at the same time?] The contents of the packet
are port numbers in the range 10080-10083 on the client which are listening for
TCP packets from the tapehost.

3. The tapehost responds by sending a packet from port 10080-10083 using TCP to
port 10080-10083 on the client. This packet starts the transmission of the
backup data from the client to the tapehost, using the same port numbers just
used.

Thanks for reviewing this and letting me know whether I've got it right. I
appreciate your patience and help.

-Kevin Zembower

-----
E. Kevin Zembower