Amanda-Users

Re: puzzling results using file: output format

2004-09-12 12:22:47
Subject: Re: puzzling results using file: output format
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 12:15:58 -0400
On Sunday 12 September 2004 10:23, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
>Hi, Gene,
>
>on Samstag, 11. September 2004 at 19:41 you wrote to amanda-users:
>
>GH> [amanda@coyote amanda]$ amcheck Daily
>GH> Amanda Tape Server Host Check
>GH> -----------------------------
>GH> Holding disk /dumps: 19840616 KB disk space available, using
> 19328616 GH> KB
>GH> amcheck-server: slot 11: date 20040911 label Dailys-11 (active
> tape) GH> amcheck-server: slot 12: date X        label Dailys-12
> (new tape) GH> NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
>GH> Tape Dailys-12 label ok
>GH> Server check took 0.215 seconds
>
>GH> Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
>GH> --------------------------------
>GH> Client check: 2 hosts checked in 10.246 seconds, 0 problems
> found
>
>GH> (brought to you by Amanda 2.4.5b1-20040831)
>
>GH> Although it strikes me that the response time should be much
> faster GH> than 10+ seconds on a 100baseT circuit.
>
>1 sec here.
>
>GH> Amverify doesn't seem to want to work yet though, returning
> errors GH> such as this:
>
>GH> [amanda@coyote amanda]$ amverify Daily slot 11
>GH> Tape changer is chg-disk...
>GH> 11 slots...
>GH> Verify summary to root AT coyote.coyote DOT den
>GH> Defects file is /tmp/amanda/amverify.27810/defects
>GH> amverify Daily
>GH> Sat Sep 11 12:52:41 EDT 2004

>GH> ** Error loading slot slot
>GH> amtape: could not load slot 0: illegal request
>
>Tried this, should be
>
>amverify Daily 11

Humm, I'll try this syntax after the flush gets done.  Is it me, or is
there some ambiguity in the manpage?

>Runs fine here with this syntax, the "slot" should just be entered
> as the number, not as "slot number".
>
>GH> I'm going to leave amverify along till I hear from somebody, and
> reset data to ->>slot09 and run amcheck to see if it skips the
> slot10 and GH> slot11's that have been written.  If that works,
> then I'll point it GH> at slot01 & let amcheck advance it to
> slot02.  Except that didn't GH> work:
>GH> -------------
>GH> amanda@coyote Daily]$ echo 01 >chg-disk-access
>GH> [amanda@coyote Daily]$ echo 01 >chg-disk-slot
>GH> [amanda@coyote Daily]$ echo 30 >chg-disk-clean
>GH> [amanda@coyote Daily]$ rm -f /amandatapes/Dailys/data
>GH> [amanda@coyote Daily]$ ln
>GH> -s /amandatapes/Dailys/slot01 /amandatapes/Dailys/data
>GH> [amanda@coyote Daily]$ amcheck Daily
>GH> Amanda Tape Server Host Check
>GH> -----------------------------
>GH> Holding disk /dumps: 19839864 KB disk space available, using
> 19327864 GH> KB
>GH> amcheck-server: slot 01: date 20040909 label Dailys-01 (active
> tape) GH> ERROR: /amandatapes/Dailys//data/: No such file or
> directory GH> ERROR: /amandatapes/Dailys//data/: No such file or
> directory GH> amcheck-server: slot 2: rewinding tape: Input/output
> error GH> -----------------------
>
>Why don't you just use amtape to position the changer and choose
> tapes?

Duh, mainly because I hadn't thought of it.  The real problem was the
leading zero's in the slot numbers I *think*.  Thats been done away
with in the latest incarnation.  The use of amcheck to handle that
has been part of my scripts for several years as it will email me
with the ugly details if it fails for any reason.

>Why not just name the slot-dirs slot1, slot2, slot3, as described in
>the HOWTO, this is how JC designed chg-disk ?

I've now done this, writing me a script that can essentially restart
the whole configuration from scratch at day 1 each time, throwing
away all previous data and relabeling the 'tapes' etc.  It looks
promising but I've NDI what happened sometime this morning while the
last test restart was running.  The / ext3 journaling died and made
the holding disk read-only, whether coincident with a momentary power
failure or not I don't know.  There was one of the usual 2 second
glitches at some point while amdump was running, but I have a *large*
UPS, so normally the only effect is the advisory window that Bulldog
pops up all over the system.  If it bothered the system otherwise,
this is a first...

The guilty kernel in case its a kernel problem, is 2.6.9-rc1-mm4.

Right now, amflush is running to clean up that mess, but gawd is it
slow!  Its far worse than if everything was running in PIO mode, and
DMA is enabled for both disks.  Something like 40-50k a second is
being written to the vtape right now, so the amflush run will be many
many hours.  The drives are however, on the same cable.  But with
DMA133 running on both drives, it seems to me I should be seeing
>20megs a second being moved from the holding disk on /dev/hda,
to /dev/hdb.  Each by itself hdparm -Tt's at >50 megs/sec from the
disk surface.

Silly Q:  Using the 'file:' system, should I even be running a holding
disk?

>This worked out for quite a few people so far.

Who are rather quiet on this list I might point out.

>If you NEED this, let's look at the code.

I think the only thing that bothered me is the chg-disk's inability to
handle a slot number with a leading zero, which simplified some of my
other support scripts that grab the current /usr/local/var/amanda
dir, the /usr/local/etc/amanda dir, smunch them up into a tarfile and
append them to the tape after amdump or amflush is done and the locks
released.  That way I have a complete copy of the indice and config
dirs that made that 'tape' on that tape.  Which seems like a heck of
a good idea for bare metal recoveries.  The rest of amanda has no
such trouble with the leading zeros in the tape labels etc.  And
actually, I don't believe its the tape labels, but how the slot
numbers are translated and used internally since this concept of a
'slot' seems to be a re-write just for the file: driver.  Or, more
likely I never ran into it before since my mechanical changers only
had 4 slots, and now I have 30 virtuals. I believe the appropriate WV
vernacular phrase is damnifiknow. :-)

Should I move that drive to the slave position on the other cable to
get my transfer speeds back into this century?  I'm not sure it will
reach though.  Its quite a ways up the full tower to the dvd
burner, /dev/hdc.  Actually, I considered buying one of those 5.25"
adaptors with the builtin fans ($40 USD at circuit city) as this
drive is running in the low 40's celcius according to smartctl.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: