Amanda-Users

Re: Span and Split -> Amanda Proper?

2004-09-05 22:33:46
Subject: Re: Span and Split -> Amanda Proper?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Alex Owen <owen AT cus.org DOT uk>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 22:29:04 -0400
On Sunday 05 September 2004 11:57, Alex Owen wrote:
>Hi there,
>
>I was wondering how ready is the span-and-split patch for production
> use? Also is there any plan to get this merged into the amanda
> development branch and from there into the stable branch?

There has been a rather entrenched resistance to such ideas in the
amanda camp, mainly because the dependability of such a setup is
reduced considerably by the act of changing the tape.  Who knows if
the next tape is good, or the heads have become dirty and need
cleaning.  There are almost any number of reasons why amanda, when an
EOT is hit, will if the facilities to change the tape for a fresh one
are available, will use the next tape ok, but the failed file, the
one that hit the EOT, will be started from byte one on the next tape
just so the complete file is on one tape.  I don't think anything
that effects that dependability will ever make it into mainline.

Amanda's whole work ethic is unswerving dependability, and to the best
of the equipments capabilities, she does a pretty decent job.
Spanning a file across multiple tapes just doesn't seem to fit in the
same category.

That said, the code is there, and if you can do it, I'm sure some of
us would be interested in the results.  In that event, stick around
the list, and put a link to your patches in your sig. as a way of
advertising it, keeping the patch reasonably uptodate as amanda
itself evolves, which it does.  Who knows what might happen from
there.

--
Cheers Alex, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)