Amanda-Users

Re: Trying to figure out why unchanged file gets backed up in level 1 backup

2004-09-01 20:57:03
Subject: Re: Trying to figure out why unchanged file gets backed up in level 1 backup
From: Michael Loftis <mloftis AT wgops DOT com>
To: Bret Mckee <bretm AT boneheads DOT us>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 18:56:36 -0600
Decisions on individual files and directories to backup are not the case of Amanda, but are under the sole control of the dump program, in this case I'm assuming GNU tar. Now fair warning is that RedHat modifies pretty much everything that goes into it's offering, so, the problem you're having may not have a darn thing to do with GNU tar, but more to do with RedHat GNU tar.

That said, backups taken on the same day with tar, I've seen include unchanged files before, but I've not seen it skip files it's not been specifically told to skip.