Amanda-Users

Re: Why am I client constrained?

2004-09-01 16:02:17
Subject: Re: Why am I client constrained?
From: Mike Fedyk <mfedyk AT matchmail DOT com>
To: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 13:00:28 -0700
Frank Smith wrote:

--On Wednesday, September 01, 2004 12:29:56 -0700 Mike Fedyk <mfedyk AT matchmail
DOT com> wrote:

Hi,

Right now, most of everything is on one file server, but I'd like to have some
DLEs SW compress on the server, and some compress on the client.  The problem
is that Amanda 2.4.4p3-1 (Debian) is still only backing up one DLE at a time,
and amstatus
reports that it is client constrained.

Two possibilities I can think of rightt off:

inparallel 1, only does one client at a time
no (or too small) holdingdisk, so dumps can't run in parallel
It's set to four (really "4")

Let me know if you need any more info.

Mike

srv-lnx2600     /share/letter_art                comp-tar-high    0
srv-lnx2600     /share/accounting                srvcomp-tar-high 1
srv-lnx2600     /share/sales                     comp-tar-high    0

A third possibility:

By default maxdumps is 1 (max number of concurrent dumps per client),
This is exactly what it was.  I have another dump running with it set to 4.

and it looks like all your DLEs are on the same server, so only one
will run at a time.  For client-compress. maxdumps should probably
be set =< number of CPUs, and if you make it > 1 you might need to
add spindle numbers to your entries so you don't have disk contention
if some of your DLEs share a physical drive.
With the two spindles setup, I now have two of four dumpers running at once.

I have several windows desktops to backup so this will take a bit of time and trial and error to see how to tune it.

Thanks for the help.

Mike