Amanda-Users

Re: 2.6.6-rc2 and newer cause trouble with amanda

2004-08-13 16:00:19
Subject: Re: 2.6.6-rc2 and newer cause trouble with amanda
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 17:16:04 -0400
On Monday 14 June 2004 15:41, Eric Siegerman wrote:
>On Sun, Jun 13, 2004 at 10:41:14PM +0200, Andreas Sundstrom wrote:
>>          --with-user=root \
>>          --with-group=root
>
>A stab in the dark here:  these settings seem a bit suspicious.
>Normally one doesn't run Amanda as root; it's able to get root
>privilege when it needs it (that's what the little runtar and
>rundump programs are for).  I don't know anything about
>2.6-series kernels, but maybe some change snuck in that
>interferes with Amanda trying to run as root.
>
>Even if that turns out not to be the source of your 2.6.6
>problem, for security reasons I'd suggest running Amanda as some
>other user.
>\
This is correct, in fact amanda will not work anywhere near correctly
when run as root.  If and when amanda needs root priviledges, amanda
will do its own suid root.  Because this is all intertwined, you
would be best advised to rip it all out, go back to the srccode dir,
and as root, do a

chown -R amanda:disk; su amanda; make clean, make

in that order, then when thats done, become root again and do the make
install.  You will of course need an unpriviledged user named amanda,
who is a member of group disk.

If you don't do this, you will be fighting subtle permissions problems
until you give up and spend 2500 bucks on arkeia.  Yup, its got all
sorts of bells and whistles and a pretty face, but the bottom line is
it doesn't do anything amanda cannot do better unattended than arkeia
can while you sit, twiddling your thumbs and watching its graphical
geegaws.

This amanda, in terms of absolute utility, doesn't have a gui, doesn't
need one nor want one.  Properly setup, it runs unattended in the
middle of the night & all you need to do is change tapes.

Check back thru this lists archive for the script I use to build every
new snapshot that comes out, its pretty bulletproof.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: