Amanda-Users

Re: Encrypted backups

2004-08-12 17:54:02
Subject: Re: Encrypted backups
From: Josef Wolf <jw AT raven.inka DOT de>
To: Andrew Hall <halla3 AT corp.earthlink DOT net>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 23:46:00 +0200
On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 01:34:59PM -0400, Andrew Hall wrote:

> http://security.uchicago.edu/tools/gpg-amanda/

There is exactly one thing I don't like with this solution: it is a
compile-time configuraton.  My assumption is that when the Big Bang
comes, my only data is my backup and the distribution CD/DVD's.
Unless my distribution's rescue-CD is compiled to support this hack, I'm
out of luck: I'll need to download/compile/etc/pp amanda. In the case of
desaster, I'll probably _not_ have time/resources to download/compile/etc/pp
amanda.

Having gpg support as a runtime option (so that you can use it when booting
from a rescue disk) would be a _big_ win. IMHO.

--
Please visit and sign and http://www.ffii.org
-- Josef Wolf -- jw AT raven.inka DOT de --