Amanda-Users

Re: Encrypted backups

2004-07-29 09:21:51
Subject: Re: Encrypted backups
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 09:12:27 -0400
On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 10:03:22AM +0100, Gavin Henry wrote:

> On Wednesday 28 Jul 2004 18:34, you wrote:
> > Gavin,
> >
> > I set this up a few years back and it rocked!
> >
> > http://security.uchicago.edu/tools/gpg-amanda/
>
> Thanks, I've had a read. How much does this slow down the backup? I take it
> clients need to do client side compression in order for nothing to be sent
> clear text across the wire?
>

> > On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 13:18, Gavin Henry wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Has this been discussed before?
> > >
> > > I was thinking of using a encrypted filesystems for the tmp storage, then
> > > dumping that to tape?

It has been a while since I read that document
so my memory may be imperfect.  Two things I
seem to recall:

- compression is optional, just like in amanda in general

- the position of gzip in the pipeline was wrong in my view.
  it came after encryption meaning it was working on somewhat
  randomized data.  Thus the compression would likely be small.

But recall, I've never used the system, just impressions from reading.

jl

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)