Amanda-Users

Re: Tape device not rewinding after amanda dumps finished

2004-07-21 16:44:47
Subject: Re: Tape device not rewinding after amanda dumps finished
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Brian Sebby <sebby AT anl DOT gov>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 16:41:44 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 at 3:27pm, Brian Sebby wrote

> We recently upgraded our Amanda server to a new machine, and migrated from
> Amanda 2.4.0 to 2.4.4p2.  However, while our old server used to rewind the
> tape after the dumps were finished, our backup administrator has discovered
> that the new machine does not.
>
> We're using the same tape drives, and essentially the same configuration
> file that we used on the old machine (we just increased the amount of
> holding space we have).  The OS on the backup server has changed, from
> Solaris 2.6 to Solaris 9.  The tape devices are still the same though
> (/dev/rmt/0n is specified in the amanda.conf file - but I know you're
> supposed to list the no-rewind device there.)

You *must* list the no-rewind device, but I'm pretty sure that that one
(/dev/rmt/0n) *is* the non-rewinding device.

> I've looked through the FAQ-O-MATIC, the Amanda chapter from Curtis Prescott's
> book, and Google searches, and I haven't found anything that addresses this.
>
> Is there an option that I'm missing, or some change between 2.4.0 and 2.4.4p2
> that would have caused this?  Would upgrading to 2.4.4p3 help?  (I missed
> that the newer version was out when it was downloaded.)  If nothing else, I
> suppose I could just tell it to do an 'mt -f /dev/rmt/0 rewind' when Amanda
> finishes, but that seems like a bit of a kludge.

AFAIK, amanda has never rewinded the tape when done.  But then, I haven't
used anything older than 2.4.1.  Your "kludge" is exactly what I do, along
with backing up the amanda databases onto other systems, in my nightly
backup script.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering