Amanda-Users

Re: error: can't switch to incremental dumps

2004-07-07 15:20:17
Subject: Re: error: can't switch to incremental dumps
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: ecyang AT seas.upenn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 15:17:14 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 at 2:22pm, ecyang AT seas.upenn DOT edu wrote

> I am using amanda to only backup the tape server host (for now), but I
> am receiving an error message in my amreport emails:
>
> FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
>   192.168.26 /dev/hda5 lev 0 FAILED [can't switch to incremental dump]
>   192.168.26 /dev/hda8 lev 0 FAILED [can't switch to incremental dump]

What's in /tmp/amanda/sendsize*debug, amandad*debug, and sendbackup*debug
on that host for that amanda run?

> amcheck runs fine.

*snip*

> running amflush the next day shows "no file to flush"
> amrecover does not work either:
>
> AMRECOVER Version 2.4.3b3. Contacting server on 192.168.26.100 ...
> amrecover: cannot connect to 192.168.26.100: Connection refused
>
> could the two problems be related?

No -- the amrecover issue is one of permissions.  You need an entry for
root (in addition to amanda) in your .amandahosts and/or you need to make
sure (x)inetd has entries for amindexd and amidxtaped and/or you need to
allow connections for amindexd and amidxtaped in TCP wrappers and/or you
need to make sure your firewall allows incoming TCP traffic on ports 10082
and 10083.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering