Amanda-Users

Re: [Fwd: Sony tape ::newbie questions::]

2004-07-07 08:55:49
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Sony tape ::newbie questions::]
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Sergio A Lima Jr <sergioajr AT ig.com DOT br>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 14:51:09 +0200
Sergio A Lima Jr wrote:

-----Forwarded Message-----

Sorry for not replying the first time.
Too busy at that time, and later the message got scrolled
above the top of my screen (about equal to the horizon
of a computer geek).

From: Sergio A Lima Jr <sergioajr AT ig.com DOT br>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Subject: Sony tape ::newbie questions::
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 08:11:13 -0300

Hi my friends,

I'm enable back-up server in my company and are dificulties in
configuration amanda.conf and tapehcharger.

The device tape is above description:

scsi0 : Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 6.2.4
       <Adaptec 2940A Ultra SCSI adapter>
       aic7860: Ultra Single Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 3/253 SCBs

 Vendor: SONY      Model: SDT-4000E         Rev: E326
 Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02
(scsi0:A:3): 5.000MB/s transfers (5.000MHz, offset 8)

When running amtapetype, receiv this information:

define tapetype unknown-tapetype {
      comment "hardware compression on"
      length 2048 mbytes
      filemark 0 kbytes
      speed 267 kps
}

I don't have any experience with a Sony SDT-4000E, but "2048" seems
a bit suspicious as "random" number for capacity, (especially
with hardware compression on, which expands random data on all but
the most modern drives).
Is this more or less in the range that you expect for that kind of
hardware?

If you really want to use hardware compression, then you have to
make a wild guess of how much uncompressed data will fit on the tape.
Running amtapetype for getting the numbers is just a weird hobby in
that case.

If you want Amanda to do accurate calculations with these tapetype numbers, then you better have hardware compression off (and use
software compression if you like).

Whith configure my amanda.conf and chg-scsi.conf files for correct
executing amanda back-up program?

I don't have a real changer. Don't know anything about it.
Other experts using chg-scsi ?

You have to add that tapetype definition (using a better name than
"unknown-tapetype") to amanda.conf  and change the tapetype to point
to that tapetype, like:

  tapetype my2Gig

  define tapetype my2Gig {
       comment "hardware compression on"
       length 2048 mbytes
       filemark 0 kbytes
       speed 267 kps
  }

I guess the real problem is much deeper than tapetype, isn't it?
Explain what you try to do (e.g. weekly full backups using 20 tapes,
and running each weekday). Also post the amanda.conf  you build
thus far.

Best regards.
Thanks

P.S.: Please, sorry my bad english.

Never mind. Mine is quiet bad, euh, quite bad too (he, Stefan?).