Amanda-Users

Integrating Amanda with Oracle RMAN

2004-06-18 18:48:53
Subject: Integrating Amanda with Oracle RMAN
From: John Bossert <jbossert AT affidian DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:39:25 -0700
Has anyone successfully integrated Amanda with Oracle (9i) RMAN?

I'm just getting started with RMAN as an alternative to the old "alter tablespace begin/end backup" scripting. I'd like to be able to do something along the lines of:

1) RMAN does a backup to disk that includes the datafiles, controlfiles, and archived redo logs (and cleans up (deletes) any now-backed-up archived redo logs from the disk.)

2) Amanda copies this "backupset" to tape during its regular nightly run. Amanda is configured to ignore the live datafiles (.dbf), unarchived redo (.log), and control (.ctl) files.

(for you fellow DBAs - archived redo is kept on a separate disk (and will soon be copied/shipped to a different machine.))

_After Amanda successfully backs up the backupset_, via "registering the user performed backup" with RMAN, RMAN knows which tape volume contains which backupset. I haven't yet dug into the "user performed backup" aspects of RMAN...

If anyone's already done this kind of thing, I'd appreciate knowing how you configured both RMAN and Amanda as well as any advice. Thanks.

-john