Amanda-Users

Re: Troubleshooting a slowdown problem?

2004-06-18 14:34:28
Subject: Re: Troubleshooting a slowdown problem?
From: KEVIN ZEMBOWER <KZEMBOWE AT jhuccp DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 14:28:37 -0400
Jon, I apologize. My email reader, GroupWise, doesn't quote lines, so I'd have
to manually break each line and insert ">". That gets me into trouble with the
other half of the world who want their email readers to adjust line length to
the width that they prefer.

You know, I've never looked at the amanda man page for the 'use' value. I just
went by the comments in the amanda.conf file, which state, "a non-positive
value means: use all space but that value." So I couldn't use 0 (zero) because
that would say "use only zero KB" according to these comments. I used '-0'
meaning 'use everything BUT 0 KB'. Thanks for pointing this out. I'll change it
right away, and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks, again, for your suggestions.

-Kevin

>>> jon AT jgcomp DOT com 06/18/04 01:45PM >>>
Boy is it hard to send a reply that makes sense when there
is a mixture of unedited top and bottom postings :(

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 01:12:35PM -0400, KEVIN ZEMBOWER wrote:

> KEVIN ZEMBOWER wrote:
>
> Paul, thanks for your thoughts. I don't think so. The whole amanda.conf
> concerning the holding disks is:
> holdingdisk hd1 {
>     comment "main holding disk"
>     directory "/var/amanda"     # where the holding disk is
>     use -0Mb            # how much space can we use on it. Use everything..
>     chunksize 1Gb       # size of chunk if you want big dump to be
>
>     }
> holdingdisk hd2 {
>     directory "/dumps2/amanda"
>    use -0 Mb
>     }
> reserve 50 # percent

> Can you think of something I'm overlooking?

Just a wierd, unlikely, possibility.

The amanda man page says for the "use" parameter

  - a positive number means use only that amount
  - a zero means use all available
  - a negative number means use all EXCEPT that amount

You use parameter fits none of these exactly in that you have
a negative zero.  Is it possible the zero is being interpreted
as "all" and the negative as "except"?

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)