Amanda-Users

Re: streaming fixed?

2004-06-16 19:17:35
Subject: Re: streaming fixed?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 19:11:44 -0400
On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 02:27:07PM -0600, Glenn English wrote:
> I have Amanda configured to do all its backups (local and net) to disk.
> I set the "reserved" parameter to 0 -- that will make it do complete
> backups, right? (As opposed to degraded mode)
>
> And if I run amflush I'll have complete backups on tape of everything in
> the disklist, right?

No, the reserve parameter has no effect on whether level 0 backups
or incremental backups will be done.

Instead, it says, if a backup is level 0, can it be buffered on
the holding disk.  If the reserve parameter is set to 100, then
100% of the holding disk space can be used only for incrementals.
All level 0's will go straight to tape.  If the reserve is set to
25%, then that portion can only be used to buffer incrementals
while the other 75% of the holding disk can be used for either
level 0's or incrementals as needed.

jl
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)