Amanda-Users

Re: ERROR: dev2: [addr 192.168.10.1: hostname lookup failed]

2004-06-08 08:39:44
Subject: Re: ERROR: dev2: [addr 192.168.10.1: hostname lookup failed]
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Sebastian Kösters <skoesters AT sino DOT de>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 14:35:39 +0200
Sebastian Kösters wrote:

“amcheck DailySet1” makes the following error:

ERROR: dev2 ß CLIENT: [addr 192.168.10.1 ß GATEWAY: hostname lookup failed]

Is that funny "eszet" symbol part of the error message?
(wingdings symbol 0xDF in the html source of the mail)
Or did you make that up together with the words "CLIENT" and "GATEWAY".

The word "gateway" is strange in this context too.  What does it mean?
Is that the amanda server?  Or is a NAT-gateway between the client
and the server?  What is exact topology?

If it is indeed a NAT-gateway between client and server, then you must
realize that the client sees the ip-number from the gateway as the
originating amanda server.
The client needs to be able to lookup that number (reverse dns):
add the gateway ipnumber in /etc/hosts on that client.
(Also add the name in .amandahosts on that client.)

The Gateway is pingable also the Client. The Gateway and the Client are pingable with they’re hostnames (DNS). I also put both (Client, GW and Server) in the /etc/hosts but nothing worked.

You need to have both forward and reverse DNS configured (i.e.
from name to number as well as from number to name.)

Which /etc/hosts? On server or client?
Also verify /etc/nsswitch.conf, make sure "files" is in front, if
you like to resolve through /etc/hosts first:
        hosts : files dns