Amanda-Users

Re: Bare-metal restore strategy

2004-06-04 12:12:34
Subject: Re: Bare-metal restore strategy
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: John Bossert <jbossert AT affidian DOT com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 18:08:58 +0200
John Bossert wrote:

Are there "best practices" for a bare-metal restore with amanda? In the past, if I needed to recover a machine, I'd get the tapes I needed (that I'd produced with "dump" with the machine quiesced); boot the machine from CD (or tape - yes, I'm that old...); newfs the disk partitions as necessary; and restore the partitions with "restore"

Perfect.

An obvious deficiency in my current ruleset, for example, is the presumption that gtar would be available on my boot CD, which is not the case (at least for Solaris9.)

When my amanda server used to be a solaris machine, I made the
backups of the system partitions of the amanda-server with ufsdump.
I had (still have actually) a separate partition with all optional
software, like amanda and gnutar.  That filesystem is mirrored
(with rsync nightly) on, another machine.
The rest of the network uses read-only nfs mounts from those two
machines.
The amanda server used to be one of those machines, and that
partition was back(ed?)up(ed?) with ufsdump too. The partition
on the mirror machine was backup up with gnutar.

In case of a amanda-server crash, I could restore the needed
partitions using ufsrestore.  In case another machine crashed,
it is sufficient to nfs-mount one of the two software partitions,
after booting from a CD.

I never had to do a bare-metal restore on Solaris (yet).
I once experimented with booting from a Solaris CD, activating
network, and nfs-mount the software.  The test worked.  I'm sure
I found something about this on the WWW.  Can't find it back right now.
(!! Things to do next week, and print it out too :-) !! )

On Linux, you can always boot from e.g. a Knoppix CD, and have all
tools available.  A bare metal recovery worked out fine.  (One hour
to diagnose that the disk was indeed irrecoverably damaged + one hour
to install spare disk, boot from CD, partition, format, amrestore
over the network, and final reboot.)

I'm confident that I can recover one or more individual files with my current backup, but I'd like to have more of a cookbook process for disaster planning.

Any example amanda.conf's (and while I'm asking,) disaster recovery checklists/cookbooks would be much appreciated. I'm looking to put together something that a third-shift operator could follow...

Thanks in advance...