Amanda-Users

Re: Problem: cannot overwrite active tape

2004-06-04 11:08:31
Subject: Re: Problem: cannot overwrite active tape
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 11:01:55 -0400
On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 04:45:36PM +0200, Sebastian Kösters wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I got a Problem with Amanda.
>
> I did a backup with ?amdump <<name>>?.
>
> Doing the backup works fine but making a ?amcheck <<name>>?  after the
> backup (before the backup is everything ok) says the following error :
> ?cannot overwrite active tape DailySet100?.
> After making the backup it is not possible to do the backup once again.
>
> What must I do to make it work correctly?

Amanda works on the assumption that you have many/several/more-than-one
tape that will be used for backups.  It cycles through those tapes,
using one or more for each amdump run.  You specify the "minimum"
number of tapes in the cycle with the "tapecycle" parameter.  Each
tape must be uniquely labeled with the amlabel command before use.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)