Amanda-Users

Re: Wildcards in disklist?

2004-05-21 09:05:19
Subject: Re: Wildcards in disklist?
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars AT oddbit DOT com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 09:01:09 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 21 May 2004 at 8:19am, Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote

> A ridiculously simple solution to this whole problem would be using
> wildcards in the disklist file, e.g.,:
>
>   localhost /export/data/[a-mA-M]* dumptype
>   localhost /export/data/[n-zN-Z]* dumptype
>
> But of course this doesn't work :(.
>
> One possible solution I've considered is running a script prior to
> running amdump that would generate a disklist file automatically.  Can
> anyone suggest any alternatives?

First off, don't use localhost.  It will bite you.  The list archvies have
*much* discussion on this point.

As for your question, wildcards *do* work with includes and excludes, so
this is actually quite easy:

$HOSTNAME  /export/data/aAmM /export/data {
           dumptype
           include ./[a-mA-M]* }
$HOSTNAME  /export/data/nNzZ /export/data {
           dumptype
           include ./[n-zN-Z]* }
$HOSTNAME  /export/data/rest /export/data {
           dumpttype
           exclude ./[a-zA-Z]* }

To explain each term in that first entry as an example, the
"/export/data/aAmM" is the unique name for that disklist entry, and how it
will be referred to in the amreport emails, amrecover, etc.  The
"/export/data" is the directory the backups start in.

The third disklist entry is necessary to get any directories the first two
don't catch ("." directories and files and directories and files that
start with numbers, e.g.).

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering