Amanda-Users

Re: Help with teaching Amanda tape rotation

2004-05-07 12:43:38
Subject: Re: Help with teaching Amanda tape rotation
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Chris Cameron <chris AT upnix DOT com>
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 18:41:02 +0200
Chris Cameron wrote:

I'm hoping someone here will be kind enough to help me teach Amanda
about our tape rotation. I've read through man pages and mailing lists,
but it seems the way Amanda deals with tapes doesn't lend itself well to
our rotation schedule.

I guess I don't understand the complicated taperotation completely.

I have a similar archiving schedule. It runs in the weekend.
The tapes are labelled "archive-001" to "archive-xxx", sequentially
numbered.
Every monday the tapes are sent offsite, and older tapes are
returned. The last weekend of each month, I mark the tapes "no-reuse" and I give them a color with a fluo-marker. These tapes stay offsite
permanently.

Amanda asks normally for the oldest tape that is marked "reuse".
By marking a tape "no-reuse", it is effectively take out of the
normal rotation.

My tapecycle covers a period of 3 months, but I have more tapes.
That means that amanda warns me if I feed a tape that is not three
months old.
Because some tapes are retracted from the rotation (by marking them
"no-reuse"), I regularly have to add new tapes.

some months will have 5 thursdays, while others only 4. What this meant
in the past was some tapes made on the final (non-permanent offsite)
week would stay offsite until another month came around with 5 Thursdays
in it, which at times can be at least a year.

I don't understand the part above...  Isn't is simply the oldest tape
that comes back?  or have the labels somehow linked to the week number
in the month?