Amanda-Users

Re: Remote tape

2004-04-27 09:23:47
Subject: Re: Remote tape
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Jesper FA <list AT j-f DOT dk>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 15:21:04 +0200
Jesper FA wrote:

My server with lots of disk space, CPU and ram where I would like to run Amanda from is in a hard to reach place, so I would like to have the tapedrive in an easier to reach machine. They all runs Linux.
Is it possible to do that?

Client-Server is just all about amanda.  One misconception is that
the amanda server needs to be a big, fast, expensive machine.
The amanda server can do with a moderate machine, with a large cheap
disk.

My amanda server is a 5 year old PC, Celeron 300 Mhz, 128 Mbyte RAM,
with a 80 Gbyte IDE disk, and a Adaptec SCSI card with 3 tape drives.
Nobody would this machine on his desk for day to day work, but
as amanda server it is perfect for 37 Unix clients (Solaris/Linux)
+ 10 PC clients with samba.  The total backup size is 220 Gbyte,
after software compression about 90 GByte.

What you cannot do is have the amanda server drive a tapedrive on
another host.