Amanda-Users

Re: newbie questions

2004-04-27 04:14:24
Subject: Re: newbie questions
From: Hans van Zijst <hzi AT syncera DOT nl>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 10:10:40 +0200
Hi Mogorva,

First off, I'm not an Amanda expert either, so maybe I'm talking rubbish
here. If so, I'm sure someone will correct me :)

AFAIK you can't use the same tape for several consecutive backup sessions.
Amanda uses its dumpcycle parameter to decide how long it will refuse to
overwrite a tape. Thus, if you have a dumpcycle of 1 week and you use a
tape on monday, you can't reuse it until the next monday. The danger of
leaving the tape in the drive is that sooner of later you'll find that the
part you need for an urgent restore, has been overwritten.

Amanda isn't really meant to backup "bits and pieces", although you could
configure it to do something like that with exclude lists if you have
Amanda use tar.

Judging from your message, maybe a simple script that uses dump or tar would
be more convenient for you. You could write a simple script that dumps
whatever you want to a non-rewinding tape and leave it there. That would
mean you can use the same tape until it's full.

Regards,

Hans

> Hi All,
>

> I'm totally new to amanda so please excuse me for the long mail.
>
> I have a linux box here (debian woody) with one disk and a DAT drive.
> There are 3 partitions on the disk (/boot, / , swap).
>
> This PC will be a remote PC (it will be really far away from here) and I
> will have only ftp access.
>
> My task is to create a method to archive the data from the disk.
> Fortunately (or not) the data is quite static (this means it changes
> very rarely) so it's not neccessary to do regular (daily or weekly)
> archives but it's a must to make a full archive in the nitht when some
> data has changed. Full archive means to save everything (all the files
> and directories of the application) not just the changed files.
>
> I can handle this 'change management' (I can decide with a script if
> it's neccessary to make an archive or not) but I need some help to
> configure amanda.
>
> As I told we need to archive specific directories and files so my first
> question is: is it possible to archive files and directories or amanda
> can archive only whole disks and/or partitions?
>
> The second question: We have tapes of 12 GB and an archive is going to
> be about 250-300 MB. We'd like to use a tape as long as it's possible
> without removing it from the drive (because it will be really far away
> from here). Can we 'force' amanda to use one tape until it's full?
>
> I know, this won't be the best archiving system in the world, but it
> will do. :)
>
> Can anyone help me to discuss the config files and write them?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Mogorva

 This message has been checked for all known viruses
 De informatie verzonden met dit e-mailbericht is
 uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde.
 Openbaarmaking, vermenigvuldiging, verspreiding en/of
 verstrekking van deze informatie aan derden is
 niet toegestaan. Wij aanvaarden geen aansprakelijkheid
 voor de juiste en volledige overbrenging van de inhoud
 van een verzonden e-mail bericht, noch voor tijdige
 ontvangst ervan.

              HTTP://WWW.Syncera.NL