Amanda-Users

Re: The find right tape function is now broken

2004-04-08 15:41:38
Subject: Re: The find right tape function is now broken
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: David Wolfskill <david AT egation DOT com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 15:30:04 -0400
On Thursday 08 April 2004 12:12, David Wolfskill wrote:
>It still smells like an off-by-one error in the tape changer program
> to me.

I'm not quite convinced, read on.

I'm also going to Cc: this back to the list, just in case it rings a
bell with somebody.

In the FWIW category, amcheck does NOT rewind the tape before it exits
after finding the right tape.  In other words, when its done, an mt
-f /device status report does NOT contain the BOT phrase/acronym.

If a rewind is issued at that point, it takes several seconds for mt
to return to the shell, so the tape is actually being rewound by the
command.

In my testing earlier today, I'd setup a crontab entry for amanda's
crontab that ran amcheck at 15,45 of the hour.  Very dependably, the
one at 45 mins failed.  The one at 15 past the hour found the tape
just fine because it had to cycle the magazine and reload the tape,
which of course rewound it.

Theorizing that the real problem was the fact that amcheck (& amdump
etc, all are guilty of using the same broken code to search for the
right tape), somehow had lost its ability to rewind the tape before
it tried to read the label the first time.  So I then put in at 30,00
on the hour, a command to use mt to rewind the tape.  Its now been
working flawlessly for about 5 hours.  And probably wearing out the
leader of DailySet1-13. :)

This happened once before, 3 or so years back up the log, and Thomas
Hepper, who apparently is the chg-scsi guru, fixed then it.  But I'm
beginning to think that somehow, his fixes have become lost.  There
was something wrong with the syntax of the io_ctrl function at the
time which made the rewind call not work.

I've sent the details to Thomas already, but so far no reply (he has a
demanding job), just one more spam is left in the inbox. :(
>Peace,
>david

Peace to you too, as we approach the Easter holiday.  Time to
celebrate.  Many Thanks for the reply.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: