Amanda-Users

New drive, old problem.

2004-04-06 06:50:28
Subject: New drive, old problem.
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 06:37:18 -0400
Hi all;

I had to give up and install another of those ctl-96's this morning.
The old one seemed to be cooking the tapes (they were near 140F when
I ejected them) and I had to replace the one in slot 3 as it kept
giving me an error 40 on the changers display.  NDI what an error 40
realy is at this point.

And I'm back to a couple of old problems.

1st, and most important is this:
I dd'd good labels to a replacement tape in slot 3 (changer number,
next to last in a 4 slot magazine), edited the label and did slot 4
while I was at it.  Labels checked with dd of course, and forced
dumped to the media by writing another 4+ megs after writing the
label.

So, after doing a startx, leaving the tape in slot 4 loaded, I opened
a shell, made myself amanda and ran amcheck.  This is what I got
back:

Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
Holding disk /dumps: 17528692 KB disk space available, using 17016692
KB
amcheck-server: slot 0: date 20040111 label DailySet1-13 (active tape)
amcheck-server: slot 1: date 20040406 label DailySet1-11 (active tape)
amcheck-server: slot 2: date 20040111 label DailySet1-12 (exact label
match)
NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
Tape DailySet1-12 label ok
Server check took 264.645 seconds

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
Client check: 2 hosts checked in 0.654 seconds, 0 problems found

(brought to you by Amanda 2.4.5b1-20040405)

Note that it did not know that slot 4 (3 to amanda) was loaded, but
did then load the next slot (1) correctly.

Is there not some command that can query the changer to find out which
slot is actually loaded so that amanda can realign herself that could
be incorporated into amcheck?  Because amcheck only checks the slots
it thinks it know about, there have been many occasions when it
didn't find the tape it wanted on the first pass because it never
rechecked the slot the tape was in when it starts out out of sync
with the real world due to the magazine being reloaded.

mtx gives me this report now, which is correct, but if I were to
manually load a different slot, amcheck will get confused, while mtx
still gets it right.

[root@coyote root]# mtx -f /dev/sg0 status
  Storage Changer /dev/sg0:1 Drives, 4 Slots ( 0 Import/Export )
Data Transfer Element 0:Full (Storage Element 3 Loaded)
      Storage Element 1:Full
      Storage Element 2:Full
      Storage Element 3:Empty
      Storage Element 4:Full

All amcheck needs to know is the actual slot thats loaded if there is
one, or to load the last known slot to get started, in which case it
would properly cycle thru and find the tape it wants if its in the
magazine.  It could also avoid that by issueing a command to actually
load the last slot amcheck knows about, thereby ejecting the one
thats (as far as its concerned) in the wrong slot.

The other problem is that this drive, once its been told to load a
tape, will not stop at ejecting the current one, but will load the
next one if its not at the end of the magazine.  I checked the dip
switches, but they all seem to be set identicaly to the old drive.
This one however looks like a much newer production run.  The special
chips are all about half the size of the older drives chips.

Bah, I'm gettin picky in my old age :)

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: