Amanda-Users

Re: amandad timeout error

2004-03-30 11:11:03
Subject: Re: amandad timeout error
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 11:06:45 -0500
On Tuesday 30 March 2004 10:10, Pablo Quinta Vidal wrote:
>Hi all!
>While looking in the /tmp/amanda/ files for an error that makes
> amcheck fail I found this in one amandad.*.debug
>
>amandad: time 30.000: dgram_recv: timeout after 30 seconds
>amandad: error receiving message: timeout
>amandad: time 30.004: error receiving message: timeout
>amandad: time 30.005: pide 392 finish time Thu Mar  4 18:16:11 2004
>
>The server and the only host (the one that fails whith "selfcheck
> reply timed out") are the same machine. Im using Amanda 2.4.4p2 and
> Debian with kernel 2.4.20

It sounds as if the server cannot contact the client, or vice versa.
Amanda as a server has a client-server connection relationship even if
they are physically the same machine.  Passwords and access rights
all apply.

Do you have .amandahosts properly defined?  Also, using localhost as
an identifier anyplace in the setup is pretty sure to haunt one, if
not now, then come recovery time.  Use only FQDN's that are either
resolvable in your hosts file, or by a running dns server.

This assumes there are no firewalls involved that may be denying the
connection.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: