Amanda-Users

Re: I changed something in my disklist

2004-03-19 05:30:02
Subject: Re: I changed something in my disklist
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Gavin Henry <Gavin.Henry AT invsat DOT com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 11:26:37 +0100
Gavin Henry wrote:

You switch from gnutar to dump.  Gnutar can do subdirectories, dump
cannot do.
Add "program GNUTAR" to the dumptype "nocomp-high" (and better name
it "high-tar" if that one does not already exist).

I added the program bit. There is already a high-tar section, but what do you mean "name it"

It's up to you how to name a dumptype.  But it is very confusing
if the name doesn't match what it does.
If you have dumptypes named "high" and "high-tar", then the name
suggests that "high-tar" is similar to "high" but using program GNUTAR.

It happens now that amanda has in the example directory a lot of
dumptypes.  Many people copy the example amanda.conf, and modify it
to their needs.  In the example there is "comp-high" and a "nocomp-high"
and the only difference is the compression property.
The example also show a different naming scheme, where, the priority
is expressed by 'root' or 'user' (root filesystems don't change as much,
and you can always reinstall from a CD, his has lower priority for backups, whereas user filesystems contain more uniq data, which is of
higher priority to backup). So the names invented for dumptypes are
"root-tar", "user-tar", "high-tar" (for even more important data),
all three without compression, and there are two similar with
compression "comp-root-tar" and "comp-user-tar".

It are only examples, it's up to you to define your own.
If you blindly copy the examples and then add 'program "GNUTAR"' to
"high-tar", then the next person looking at the config with the 5 dumptypes will probably get very confused.

To really confuse (or to show off) you could name a dumptype:

define dumptype legato {
}

And then show the disklist to your manager if you want a larger budget.