Amanda-Users

Re: amdump again

2004-03-18 03:59:32
Subject: Re: amdump again
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Filburt <filburt AT mailbox DOT hu>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 09:55:16 +0100
Filburt wrote:

I've changed the labelstr to 'mylabel[0-9][0-9]*$' as Frank suggested.

It's better now, but not perfect yet. B-)

Did "amcheck" complain about anything?

I try to archive /var/www and get this error every time:

======
FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
mymachine /dev/ida/c0d0p2 lev 0 FAILED [disk /ida/c0d0p2, all estimate failed]

NOTES:
  planner: Adding new disk mymachine:/dev/ida/c0d0p2.
  driver: WARNING: got empty schedule from planner
  taper: tape mylabel01 kb 0 fm 0 [OK]
======

Content of disklist: mymachine /dev/ida/c0d0p2 always-full

It's not wrong, but when using tar to backup, it's more natural
to specify the directory instead of the device name.  Amanda will
convert it for you anyway (and on some systems that gives added
complexity + sometimes a failure).

I presume /dev/ida/c0d0p2 is the device that is mounted on /var/www.

Content of the 'always-full' section in amanda.conf:

options no-compress , index
include list "/var/www"

So intend to backup /var/www only.
The directive "include list" means that there should be a file on
the client named "/var/www" which contains a list of things to include.
Of course amanda fails miserably when trying to read the directory
/var/www on the client, where it expects a plain file.
The files/directories to be included need to be relative to the
mountpoint.

You can probably find the error messages in one of the files
/tmp/amanda/debug.timestamp.* on the client.

Leave out the "include" directive.  You don't need to specify it
twice (in the disklist and in the dumptype definition).

What version of amanda are you using anyway?
The syntax with "options" is very old, but still understood for
historical compatibility.  Nothing in a recent man page talks about
this.  Better use the modern syntax (see man page):

        define dumptype allways-full {
                compress none
        }