Amanda-Users

Re: How does the amanda server identify itself to clients?

2004-02-06 13:10:25
Subject: Re: How does the amanda server identify itself to clients?
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 19:08:33 +0100
Hi, Michael,

on Freitag, 06. Februar 2004 at 18:00 you wrote to amanda-users:

MK> I am still troubleshooting the RedHat 7.2 client configuration to work with
MK> my Debian server installation.

MK> If the server (Debian) was configured with the machine name of "localhost",
MK> is this the identifier that clients use when verifying a machine against the
MK> .amandahosts file?

How was the client configured?

MK> Is there any way to configure the machine name for amanda short of
MK> re-compiling?

Sorry for being that short, I had not read the whole mail in deep ...

As I noted before, DON'T use "localhost". Bad thing.
Use the full name of the server.

The server has been compiled with -default-tape-server=localhost ?

If you still have the sources lying around I would recommend a simple

make uninstall
./configure --with-tape-server=<fqdn> --other-options --...
make install

It does not break/delete/change your config/index-dirs or such.

But you get predictable behavior. It is a well known fact on this list
to not use "localhost". As it seems it doesn't come through the docs
well enough.

--
best regards,
Stefan