Amanda-Users

Re: Append to active tape

2003-12-29 14:22:58
Subject: Re: Append to active tape
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 14:05:09 -0500
On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 01:47:55PM -0500, Andrew Hall wrote:
> OK..:).  Please forgive if I have used incorrect terminology, so I ask
> again for my own clarification.  Will amanda ever be able to write to
> the same tape a few days in a row, without having to spool to a holding
> disk?
>
> Say I have an AIT-2 50/100G tape, yet I only am using 20G of data.  I
> could fit a full, plus a weeks worth of inc's on a single tape.
>
> If this is your design decision, mind if I ask why?  Are there dangers
> in this type of theory?  Just curious.

I do not anticipate it will ever be set up that way.

If you want that type of feature, save on a different medium,
like the holding disk, and flush to a single tape as desired.

Reasons:
1. lose your tape, lose an entire weeks of backups
2. difficulty of appending to some tapes
3. ease of inadvertant overwrite of some early part
   damaging the usability of later parts
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)