Amanda-Users

Re: Disaster/Recovery using amanda and 'dump'

2003-12-22 13:44:04
Subject: Re: Disaster/Recovery using amanda and 'dump'
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Roberto Samarone Araújo (RSA) <rsa AT iesam.com DOT br>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 13:40:04 -0500
On Monday 22 December 2003 17:10, Roberto Samarone Araújo (RSA) wrote:
>Hi,
>
>    I'm using amanda with 'dump', instead of 'tar', to backup my
> servers. I would like to know what's the procedures to recovery a
> backup from a tape if my amanda server down.
>
>                  thanks,
>
>                      Robert
Getting down to the bare metal, and assuming that you have a working
mt, dd, gzip and tar, then

Put the first tape of the current dumpcycle in the drive

mt -f devicename rewind # just to make sure

dd if=non-rewinding-devicename bs=32k count=1 of=instructs

now read the instructs file which will tell you how to invoke tar and
if required gzip to get the data back.  Do it.  Do this in a
temporary scratch directory with enough disk to contain what you want
to do.  You can even leave the of= specification off and you see it
on your screen as dd will then send it to stdout.

Once the first tarball has been recovered, repeat from the dd comamnd
above, till you hit the tapes eot.  Goto the next tape if its not all
on that one.

And yes, its drudgery. :-)

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M