Amanda-Users

Re: How to fix annoying break in tape sequence?

2003-12-01 17:40:09
Subject: Re: How to fix annoying break in tape sequence?
From: Eric Siegerman <erics AT telepres DOT com>
To: AMANDA Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 17:38:29 -0500
For the benefit of the archives (I know you've solved your recent
problem):

On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 04:49:50PM +0000, Dave Ewart wrote:
> On Monday, 01.12.2003 at 16:32 +0000, Tom Brown wrote:
> > [...] alter the config/tapelist file so that the required OurName-C-Mon
> > is at the bottom (although this is less desirable)
>
> Are you sure?  I have read that altering tapelist has no effect, since
> it tapelist is an end-result file, not a "read-at-start" config file ...

This is incorrect; editing tapelist *will* affect future runs.

That said, the suggestion still has a problem.  Simply moving
OurName-C-Mon to the bottom (making it swap places with the
"skipped" tape, OurName-B-Fri) will work for that Monday's run,
but you'll have to do it again on Tuesday night, and every night
until OurName-B-Fri cycles around again.

I suppose you could move the OurName-B-Fri entry up to the top,
to make it look as though the tape had been used in its proper
sequence, but I'd be *very* reluctant to do that without
carefully thinking through the ramifications.

Reducing "tapecycle" for the duration is certainly cleaner, quite
possibly safer, and in the end, probably easier.

N.B.:  In a tapelist record, I can't recall offhand whether it's
the date field, or the record's physical position within the
file, that Amanda actually cares about.  Perhaps both.  So to be
safe, "moving" a tapelist entry should probably consist of both:
  - physically moving the line to the appropriate position
  - editing the line's date so that it sorts properly into its
    new location

--

|  | /\
|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics AT telepres DOT com
|  |  /
It must be said that they would have sounded better if the singer
wouldn't throw his fellow band members to the ground and toss the
drum kit around during songs.
        - Patrick Lenneau