Amanda-Users

RE: Barcode readers: how important?

2003-11-25 12:07:36
Subject: RE: Barcode readers: how important?
From: donald.ritchey AT exeloncorp DOT com
To: fran AT cis.uab DOT edu, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 10:31:22 -0600
How many tapes do you manage?  If the number is under 50 to 100 (depending
on how much you like manual recordkeeping), you can manage that many tapes
by hand.  Beyond that number, the effort becomes overwhelming.  That is
where the barcode reader becomes a near necessity.

As long as all your tapes fit into the library and you never take them out
of the library unit, then you probably don't need barcodes or a barcode
reader.

But, if you do the sensible thing, sending some subset of your tapes offsite
for disaster recovery purposes, then the barcodes become necessary to ensure
that you and/or Amanda can then reload the library without having to reread
every tape on reinsertion into the library.  I encourage you to consider
getting the barcode reader, if nothing else than to encourage you to keep
some of your tapes offsite and to set up good storage management habits.

Don

Donald L. (Don) Ritchey